Friday, July 22, 2011

It's My Birthday

Today's my birthday. I never mention it, but today I will. I mention it only because I want to share some things with you that I  have learned in life and ministry. I would like to make it a "Top Ten List", but you know how long winded I am. However, since it's my birthday I'll just be who I am-long winded! And you don't want to miss the last one either because it's my personal favorite, but if you're squeamish don't read it. 
  1. I’ve learned to be flexible. Steel flexes, iron snaps. The best laid plans are subject to change. In the middle of an Easter program when the pastor says cut it short, you gotta be flexible or you'll snap. Then there are those times when you have an eight foot stage and seven foot ceiling. Or when you've been told to use one room for your class, but when you get there they give you a different room. My personal favorite is when you meticulously plan an hour and a half program and the evangelist rambles, oops preaches, for three hours. (I can say it, because I am one of those evangelist now.)
  2. Think the best of people. Find good in everyone. They’ll love you when you value them. Love people, because love never fails. Seek to understand before you seek to be understood. I’ve learned not to look down on others because they don’t know what I know; everyone knows things I don’t.
  3. Get behind your leader, but don’t kick him/her as tempting as it may be.
  4. Forget about the wrong, remember the good. I’d like to give you examples of the wrongs, but I’ve forgotten them.
  5. Be careful what you say and who you say it to. Ministry is not the place for motor mouths without an off switch.
  6. Never put an Aaron in charge until he has your heart.
  7. You have to play by the rules of the park you’re playing in; never your rules.
  8. I am responsible for only what I’m responsible for - nothing more, nothing less.
  9. There is a God and His name is not Pat Holland.
  10. People can’t follow you if you’re not going somewhere.
  11. I want to develop participators, not spectators.
  12. Don’t become road kill on the road to success. The road to success is strewn with dead quitters (critters). Forgive, guard your attitude and keep moving upward.

No comments: