Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Thanks Giver Menu


I love to cook almost as much as I love to eat. The hardest part is the clean-up afterwards; which often influences my cooking. The second most difficult part of cooking is deciding what to cook, which also influences and limits my cooking to a few favorite recipes. From time to time, I try something new. I get a new recipe from my mother-in-law, what a great cook she is, or I actually use one of those recipes from the cooking channel that I love so much. Still, far to often, I hear myself ask the question that I already know the answer, "What do you want to eat dear?"...and if you cook you know the answer, "I don't know. What do you want?"

But Thanksgiving dinner is different. I start getting hungry for cornbread dressing in October, but I resist the temptation so by Thanksgiving my mouth is watering in anticipation.  I make really good dressing, not stuffing; good southern style dressing like my Mother used to make. What a great cook she was! 

I've tried to razzle-dazzle the meal with new favorites, but I personally prefer the traditional fare: turkey, my husband smokes it for hours and it is so delicious; mashed potatoes; sweet potato casserole, my mother-in-laws recipe, but I have to leave out the coconut because both my son and daughter-in-law won't eat it. I just can't imagine anyone not liking coconut--it's one of my favorite things to eat, but then there's not too many things I won't eat. I have noticed chicken feet at the grocery store, but I've never tried them. It might help me lose some weight after the holiday to add them to my menu. I must mention Wayne, has put a pack of them ,as well as other interesting items from the meat counter, in my buggy from time to time.Not gonna happen! My son-in-law looks forward to the green bean casserole. And everyone's favorite is the homemade cheese bread. I try to bring the bread, with slivers of melted cheese throughout, hot  from the oven to the table. 

Thanksgiving is a special time around the Holland house. We'll laugh a lot, eat a lot and sleep a little. And, it's all possible because God has blessed us so much. I'm thankful, so very thankful, for my husband, my family, good food and so much more. I've learned and continue to deliberately remind myself that Thanksgiving is a holiday, but giving thanks makes every day a holy day. 

I shared my menu for eating, but more important, I want to share my menu for  living.

Menu for a Thanks Giver.

Lettuce: Let us give thanks
Squash- squash ingratitude and greed
Tater- par-tic-i- tater- participate in giving thanks
Meat- Meet God with an offering of thankfulness
Rolls- Roll all your cares on Him
Beet- Beet greed by being thankful
Thyme- Give Him your precious thyme (time)
Dressing- Dress in a garment of praise- give Him praise

Every good cook knows the secret ingredient is love—
            Love the Lord with all your heart…


Again this year, we'll all be together. I can't wait for kisses from my Princess, Joybell, Smiley and Jedediah. I'm so thankful to be a grandma!

No comments: